Re: tlug: Cache cow security hole

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Darren Cook wrote:

> >Here's a site everybody should check out, if they haven't already seen it.
> >It is possible to suck out all of Netscape's cached information, including
> >credit card numbers (yup, it saves those!) without your knowing it.
>
> Credit card numbers is a bit of an exaggeration. "about:cache" only shows
> URL's, which means it would only store form information if submitted with

According to an article in Edupage, which can be found at sunsite SUT--

http://sunsite.sut.ac.jp/edupage/Edupage-98.09.29.html

Netscape's flaw does NOT involve encrypted information, as this is not
stored in cache. I suppose if you are ordering something through a
non-secure site (not many of these are left, are there?), then there
might be a risk. So far nobody has reported such an attack, as this
flaw is still described as "hypothetical" by Netscape. Then again,
Edupage is quoting USA Today, so YMMV by a lot here.....

David Riley

Hachinohe Institute of Technology
88-1, Myo, Ohbiraki
Hachinohe-shi Aomori-ken