Re: tlug: Printed media?? Who needs TeX?

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Top Ten Reasons Why Print Is Better
>
> 10. You can wipe your butt hundreds of times with a Tom Clancy book.
>     (This _is_ Japan.)
> 9.  It's much easier to tack up a centerfold than an LCD.
> 8.  It is not possible to interface Talking Purple Dinosaurs to print.
> 7.  The bloody user can't change style sheets and then complain about
>     how ugly/unreadable/invisible your text is.
> 6.  It's possible to leave just the memo you don't want to talk about
>     at home/on the train/on the plane.
> 5.  You can suck spilled coffee off a page; recovery rate from down
>     in the keyboard is much lower, even with a straw.
> 4.  You can rip a single page out of a book and throw darts at it.
> 3.  Your daughter won't try to change the channel to Sesame Street on
>     a book.
> 2.  Throw your book at your antagonist, and you can still read _all_
>     of your other books.
>
> And the #1 killer reason why I won't abandon print:
>
> 1.  The look on my baby's face when she turns the pages---and then
>     rips them right out of the spine and eats them :-) but it's _that
>     look_.  (She's especially partial to Watts Humphrey and Fred
>     Brooks, for some reason.  Also The Lion King, but it's sturdier
>     and still intact.)

I'm saving the above for posterity :)

BTW, you may want to introduce your daughter to Nathaniel Hawthorne's
works such as "The Scarlet Letter".  Maybe she can find a use for that
garbage that society in general, so far, has not been able to (or at least
hasn't found a reason acceptable to me :) ).

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)