Re: tlug: Re: kernel modules (was: Kernel rebuild problem)

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Rex Walters wrote:

> Have you ever tried to administer a network of dozens or even hundreds
> of client machines as well several servers -- most with different
> hardware configurations?  I've only a handful of Linux machines I
> administer now, and I'll tell you I wouldn't give up modules for the
> world.

The maximum number of _linux_ boxes I administered was between fifteen and
twenty.  When I had to upgrade the kernel I'd run my kernel-build script
on the biggest machine (P100, I think) and fan out each kernel variation
to the corresponding machine or machines.

Admittedly, this was before modules became useable (my shop went ELF
early, and ELF kernels didn't deal with modules too well prior to the
pre-2.0 kernels).

> I also don't necessarily *want* a compiler available on all my clients
> machines (Joe and others will attest: you don't put anything on a
> trader's client than the applications they tell you to put on).

I agree with this.  Compilers do not go on firewalls, either.

> I do sympathize with many of your points, but I can also understand why
> people are affronted by the clubbishness of this list (and Linux
> advocates in general).

Well, hmmm.  Out of the four examples that you gave, I wrote three.  As my
"snobbishness" is apparently off-putting to the average list subscriber,
perhaps I should refrain from posting.

-- Chris