Re: tlug: Fine control over ftp

>> I don't want the user to have an email account or telnet access (even
>> to his two directories). I tried setting his shell to "/bin/false", but
>> that stopped both ftp and telnet :-(.
>
>Add /bin/false to /etc/shells.

That worked! Why does ftp require a shell to exist, when obviously it is
not using it?

>Untrusted user?

I don't trust any of them, least of all me (I break out in a sweat while
logged in as root - one mistype and there goes the filesystem... and my
contract).

But the cause of these exciting learning oppurtunities (?!) is one
department not trusting another department in the same company.

My suggestion of using passwords in Apache server and getting the data from
a web page was met with "they won't like that". I thought web browsers were
easier to use than ftp.

wu-ftp is not installed on this machine, and changing the ftp server sounds
a bit 'taihen', so for the moment I'll go back and try to convince them of
the merits of my web page idea again :-).

Darren