Re: tlug: Linux Users Old and New (was: High-end vs Low-end Linu

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Jim Schweizer wrote:

>When I read what Steve T. said, I agreed. I was thinking more along the lines
>of the Assembly VS Visual Basic output argment that I've often read about.
>Assembly requires a far greater understanding of how the computer really works,
>but VB allows coders to write applications without that degree of understanding.

I can go along with this to a point, however, a person who knows how to
program well can produce a perfectly good program using VB (assume, of course,
that your definition of "perfectly good" doesn't exclude anything produced
with a Microsoft tool :-)    ) have it do its job well.   A person who doesn't
know how to program well can also produce a perfectly bad program using
assembly.

Cheers,

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section