Re: tlug: Kernel rebuild problem

Austin Kurahone wrote:

> I've just had  a bunch of problems with Redhat 5.1, and rebuilding the
> kernel, and I think that they may help in this case.  The kernel that
> comes with RH 5.1 is 2.0.34-0.6(I have no idea where the 0.6 comes
> from).

I'm quite confident now that the -0.6 means they applied the pre6
Adaptec driver patch.

I downloaded the pre12 patch, but have found out that the 1 time I got
it to boot yesterday was the only one. Since then, it has locked up on
booting.

Having read that others had had success with pre6 on Usenet, I unpatched
pre12, downloaded pre6 and patched that to 2.0.35 instead (now called
2.0.35-0.6!). I now boot reliably, and it finds my CD-ROM.

I think I'll try to slowly work my way up to pre12 to see where the
driver starts to become unreliable, and see what changed or get in touch
with the author or something.

Neil.