Re: tlug: Kernel rebuild problem

Hernando TANAKA wrote:

> Are you using adaptec scsi card?

Yes.

> I remember having a trouble with my aha2940 card with RH5.1,
> but actually been fixed by the kernel update.

> Is your kernel the official linux kernel, or
> the RedHat kernel update?

I downloaded the original 2.0.34 from kernel.org, after failing to get
the patches from there to work (as mentioned by Austin; RedHat had
messed with the original source), and patched that to 2.0.35.

It correctly recognises by Adaptec UW940, in fact better than 2.0.34
did, but then goes on only to see the Zip drive. The card itself sees
all 3 of my scsi devices (cdrom, hd and zip) after the startup memory
test.

So I'm not quite sure what to do. Now is the first time I've had since
Sunday, so I'm going to play a bit and see what might work. Could be a
termination problem, or anything I guess.

None of the SCSI stuff was compiled as a module, so that's not the
problem (and as I said, Linux recognises the Adaptec card).

Incidentally, I daren't change my etc/conf.modules because if I change
it and 2.0.35 doesn't boot, I won't be able to boot 2.0.34 either, as
it's modularised. So I'm kind of stuck with the current conf file. Or is
there a way around that?

In a similar vein, because booting doesn't complete, I can't get a hard
copy of the dmesg file. When I go back to booting 2.0.34 it overwrites
the one that 2.0.35 left. There must be a way around this too, but I
don't know what.

Something else I'll try is getting the adaptec patch to see if that
helps (thanks Chris for pointing that out).

Neil.