Re: tlug: Kernel rebuild problem

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Hernando TANAKA wrote:
> > The scsi card is correctly identified at bootup for 2.0.35,
> > and it goes on to find my external SCSI zip drive at bootup,
> > but doesn't seem to find my hard drive and CD-Rom!
>
> Hmm, isn't that interesting?..:-)
> Well, so far I can't come up with another idea.
>
> Are you using adaptec scsi card?
> I remember having a trouble with my aha2940 card with RH5.1,
> but actually been fixed by the kernel update.
>
> Is your kernel the official linux kernel, or
> the RedHat kernel update?
>
> Things I might try;
>
> * Get the RedHat original kernel update and try it.
> * Disconnect the zip drive and see what would happen.
> * Recompile the 2.0.34 kernel with the same configuration
>   (as 2.0.35) and see what would happen.

Hmmm,

I've just had  a bunch of problems with Redhat 5.1, and rebuilding the
kernel, and I think that they may help in this case.  The kernel that
comes with RH 5.1 is 2.0.34-0.6(I have no idea where the 0.6 comes
from).  It apperars that Redhat had made some minor changes to the
aic7xxx files, since in my case it was not possible to patch the source
to use 2.0.35.  Also everytime I recompiled the kernel prior to
patching, or after patching it for that matter, none of my hardware
worked. (eth0 stopped working even when I compiled support into the
kernel etc.)  What I eventually edned up doing was I installed the
2.0.33 SRPM (from their PowerTools CD set) and patching it up to 2.0.35
and now everything works.  Another thing you may try doing is obtaining
the whole 2.0.35 archive instead of patching RH's kernel.

Another thing that I was wondering was that a lot of people talk about
home rolling their own Linux destributions, and I was wondering how I
could do that because I'm starting to get kind of sick of Redhat, and
the idea of my own Linux destribution is very tempting.

Also are we going to be making Debian 2.0 CDs at the meeting(IŽĘrecall
that we were going to do this last meeting but it got postponed???) ?

Austin Kurahone