Re: tlug: List of meta's for different languages

    Darren> I've been using "x-sjis", which works for Nescape/Explorer

This is Evil.  If you must (for reasons of client demand), use it.

However, `x-' names should actually be used only between consenting
adults [sic], normally for experimental purposes, and strict
implementations of the MIME standard will refuse it or save it to a
file when encountered in public. ;-)  Try one of the following names
or aliases:

Name: Shift_JIS  (preferred MIME name)
MIBenum: 17
Source: A Microsoft code that extends csHalfWidthKatakana to include
        kanji by adding a second byte when the value of the first
        byte is in the ranges 81-9F or E0-EF.
Alias: MS_Kanji
Alias: csShiftJIS

Don't even think about using:

Name: Windows-31J
MIBenum: 2024
Source: Windows Japanese.  A further extension of csShiftJIS
        to include several OEM-specific kanji extensions.
        Like csShiftJIS, it adds a second byte when the value
        of the first byte is in the ranges 81-9F or E0-EF.
        PCL Symbol Set id: 19K
Alias: csWindows31J

    Darren> 4, and Netscape 3 I think. It's very important to have
    Darren> this (or the euc one) for people using Japanese extensions
    Darren> to Explorer/Netscape on English Windows.

ISO-2022-JP (aka JIS aka auto-detect) doesn't work?

Arrrrrggh.  That's inexcusable.  They can't read mail headers without
being able to handle that.

    Darren> The file Craig gave the URL for mentioned Chinese in four
    Darren> places, but none of them had anything I recognized. I've
    Darren> got two sets of chinese pages. One is "simplfied" (for
    Darren> mainland China) and

Name: GB2312  (preferred MIME name)
MIBenum: 2025
Source: Chinese for People's Republic of China (PRC) mixed one byte,
        two byte set:
          20-7E = one byte ASCII
          A1-FE = two byte PRC Kanji
        See GB 2312-80
        PCL Symbol Set Id: 18C
Alias: csGB2312

Name: GB_2312-80                                        [RFC1345,KXS2]
MIBenum: 57
Source: ECMA registry
Alias: iso-ir-58
Alias: chinese
Alias: csISO58GB231280

Name: HZ-GB-2312
MIBenum: 2085
Source: RFC 1842, RFC 1843                              [RFC1842, RFC1843]

    Darren> the other is "traditional" (for Taiwan and Hong Kong). I
    Darren> asked the people who made them but they don't know what
    Darren> I'm talking about. I think they were created on a Chinese
    Darren> Windows system.

Name: Big5  (preferred MIME name)
MIBenum: 2026
Source: Chinese for Taiwan Multi-byte set.
        PCL Symbol Set Id: 18T
Alias: csBig5

Name: ISO-2022-CN                                            [RFC1922]
MIBenum: 104
Source: RFC-1922

Name: ISO-2022-CN-EXT                                        [RFC1922]
MIBenum: 105
Source: RFC-1922

    Darren> Anyone want to make a guess what the correct meta tags
    Darren> are?

Use the "preferred MIME names".  They're simplest, anyway.

I have no idea what Chinese Windows systems might use, sorry.  But
probably Big5 and GB3212 for traditional and simplified respectively.

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091