Re: tlug: Programming in Japanese on X

From: Michael Casinghino <michael@example.com>
Subject: tlug: Programming in Japanese on X
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 10:58:39 +0900 (JST)

michael> I have a programming question.
michael>
michael> How can I figure out how to display Japanese text in an X-Window?  I
michael> have just read the following books (well, the i18n and font parts
michael> anyway) --

michael> Xlib Programming Manual

Doesn't this one discuss it in chapters 10 and 11, pages 327-399?

michael> They all made vague references, and I tried a million things.  Nothing
michael> worked.  Where do I find out how X turns a euc string into Japanese
michael> text?  Or perhaps more basically, how can I select a character from a
michael> Japanese font set?  And what about input?

The O'Reilly Programmer's Supplement for Release 6 is also good.
The internationalization stuff changed from R5 to R6.
Here is the TOC.  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/r6/toc.html

Also, you might be able to get some sample code from the current edict.el
maintainer.  I think he also is familar with the XIM and other mule
support of XEmacs.  ;-)

-- Craig