tlug: Programming in Japanese on X

I have a programming question.

How can I figure out how to display Japanese text in an X-Window?  I
have just read the following books (well, the i18n and font parts
anyway) --

Japanese Information Processing (The blowfish book)
OSF-Motif Programmers Manual
OSF-Motif Programmers Reference
Xlib Programming Manual
XToolkit Intrinsics Programming Manual (Motif Version)
XToolkit Intrinsics Reference Manual

They all made vague references, and I tried a million things.  Nothing
worked.  Where do I find out how X turns a euc string into Japanese
text?  Or perhaps more basically, how can I select a character from a
Japanese font set?  And what about input?

I have lesstif and Gtk.  I can read a little Japanese but...
If anyone can recommend a good book, document, or web site, I will be
eternally grateful.