Re: tlug: 1.Japanese hard- and software/2.Netscape

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Marcus Metzler wrote:
>
> > Of course one other point is the exchange rate, which is rather bad
> > for Americans right now, but at it lowest for Germans. So Scott may
> > think stuff in Japan is really expensive, while I think it`s cheap.
>
> Actually, the exchange rate is good for America, bad for Japan.  I don't
> import books from Amazon books anymore if I can get the title locally,
> since between the exchange rate, the cut for the money changer, and the
> shipping costs, it drives the price up to what I would pay locally, if not
> more.
> Computer stuff is the same way,  so I find no savings in buying
> hardware from the U.S.  It's cheaper if you're living there and are paid
> in U.S. dollars, but otherwise not.
>
> Jonathan

On some things, yes.  BUT, on other things (cases and hard drives come to
mind), you can't beat U.S. prices even with shipping.  However, the
original poster of this thread saying he was coming TO Japan to do his
shopping.  I assume he's coming from somewhere ELSE, so... that's why I
said what I did.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)