RE: tlug: shelling root

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Eric S. Standlee wrote:

> But, that doesn't explain how su root doesn't have all the same priv.s as
> login root... Help.

Because a lot of utilities check for your real userid (with the getuid()
call) rather than your effective userid (geteuid()).  This is usually for
your protection ... you've got to have logged in as root from the console
in order to do certain things.

Of course, you can mimic a direct login by executing a "su -".

> Also, if I plan to network my machines, what is the better solution for
> pppd then?

-- Chris