tlug: High-end vs Low-end Linux (was: Transitioning to Linux)

At 19:32 98/09/25 +0900, Joh De Hoog wrote:
>So why am I even considering Linux? For reasons similar to yours,
>probably.

In the case of many TLUGgers, simply NO.   Their reasons are not similar to
yours--or largely to mine.  From them, Linux is more a Unix
option/alternative; and they`re using it for rather high-end stuff in
sci-research, engineering and design, as well as for sys admin purposes and
software development, et cetera.  In a nutshell, they have migrated from
Unix (although many of them still use Unix/work in Unix enviroments); you
are/might be migrating from Win/Mac.  In their migration from Unix, and
migration is too strong a term here, they have bought with them many of the
skills, and tools, projects and concerns of the Unix world.  Which never
had much to do with SOHO/small business; and as well, never much emphasized
the desktop enviroment or what now passes for `ease of use`.

To these people, rightfully so I should add, people like yourself and
myself are virtual diletantes.  The Linux community, until fairly recently,
was composed of people who knew their UNIX very well, to start; who had
some general commitment to the GNU agenda (whatever quarrel they may have
had with various particulars); and who did fairly high-end stuff.  Linux
started as a hobby, to be sure--started with Torvald himself diletanting
around.  But it fairly quickly turned into something else.

Do some Tluggers tend to see things from a Linux-centric viewpoint; or
otherwise live in a Linux-centric world?  I think so.   But if it were not
for their efforts--the people for whom Linux has been a cause, a way of
life--we would have nothing like the Linux we have today.  I`m sometimes
more than a little turned off by the__holier than thou__ attitude, et
cetera; more than a few people in turn are (or should be) __disgusted
with__ the attitudes, et cetera of people like __me__.

My point is that some of the rather young members of the Linux old guard
feel that just buying the program and installing it does not make you a
member of the Linux community.  (Forget for now whatever time and money you
have put in; or risks taken; or et cetera).  Linux was/has been maintained
and developed by highly skilled and talented programmers/hackers sharing
with and helping each other.  Many of these people were/are also Sys Admin
people.  When they run Linux at work and have problems, other Linux people
help them out.  They look at me--or for that matter, you--and ask:__ what
does this person bring?__

It`s a fair question.  Although I think it`s a question that may have more
than one valid answer.

>Using Linux . . . .offers a kind of freedom to
>shape my computer environment in ways not possible with Windows. It's
>different from what I do every day. I like new challenges; I'm a
>techno-freak of sorts, with a veranda full of parabola antennas and a
>room full of gadgets.

Thus far you seem right at home at a TLUG meeting/Nomikai.

>the suits are still wary of it, and the applications are still not quite
>there, it appears.

Right.  But hang with it for another year.  Learn all the other amazing
things Linux can do.  Learn the command lines a little better.  And when
those apps do come on-line--and they will, you`ll be in excellent shape to
do many more things than you could with Windows--even if you spent $1000s
more on M$ software.  Not to mention the new hardware that MS NT 5 deluxe
would/will require.

Hang with it.  If you try to be less antagonistic, I`ll try the same.  This
is a damn good crowd--good people.  Get out here some time and meet some of
them.  As for attitude problems, any who even considers Linux obviously has
an attitude problem.  There`s still a river or two to be crossed before
Linux is mainstream, if you`ll excuse such a mixing of expressions.  And
all of Linux won`t mainstream--nor should it.  The high-end stuff is safe
from people lilke me and perhaps even you.  (How safe it is from the suits
and M$ is a whole different issue/problem).

Best to all,
TJH