Re: tlug: Re: Linux taking over the globe?

Karl-Max Wagner wrote:

> > generations of endusers.  If Linux had applications and a desktop interface
> > that *students* could readily use, however, that situation would change
>
> If students are unable to learn to use Linux, they are also
> unfit for taking courses at a university. In  other words, they
> have nothing lost there and should be relegated to work they are
> fit for, e.g. sweeping streets.

Should students really learn to use Linux, as long as they
use computers just as a tool for wordprocessing and
calculating? Somewhere in the bibel a society is compared to
a body, where different parts have got different functions.
So is it the function of a student, let me say of cultural
studies, to know more about computers than to know the
switch? If on the other hand software developers would after
all pay attention to their function by focusing on
consumer's needs, we wouldn't have that discussion. As long
as Linux developers are not willed to fullfill the needs of
a majority of consumers, MS is (despite of all the bugs) the
better choice.
To tell the truth: Some weeks ago I had a sleepless night
when I realized, that my holy Linux has to share the
diskspace with MS-products. However, Microsoft is a standard
which can hardly be ignored if you not just want to talk
about software, but also getting an income by developing
small applications. Since most customers (in spe) are using
MS, they will call earlier or later, because of MS-specific
problems and probably won't accept a reply like "if you were
using a proper OS -in other words Linux- I could help you,
but since you're using Microsoft..."
Sincerly
 Wolf.
--

Omnia mihi licet, sed non omnia expediunt (I ad Cor. 10,22)