Re: tlug: Intel, Netscape Investing in RedHat

At 01:54 PM 09/26/98 +0900, Sean Bennet (SB) wrote:

SB>Intel and Netscape are taking minority stakes in RedHat
SB>software . . . .

SB>Don't get me wrong; I'm not a windows basher (at least full
SB>time :-)  A good portion of my days at the office, and home,
SB>are spent on Win machines.  But I do enjoy competition, and
SB>things are going to be interesting over the next year, don't
SB>you think?

On Jonathan Byrne (JB) commented:

JB>>I do indeed.  I'm not much of a Windows basher either, but I do like
Linux a
JB>>lot and if it does someday move from being a better server solution to
being a
JB>>better desktop solution as well as a better back office solution, I sure
JB>>wouldn't be disappointed.  1997 was a great year for Linux, 1998 has
also been
JB>>one, and 1999 looks to  be another.  Linux is really going to earn its
JB>>mainstream wings in 1999, I think.

Hope so.  As for Windows-bashing and whatnot,  I think some people on the
TLUG list, although by no means a majority, are in a situation similar to
SB's: "A good portion of my days at the office, and home, are spent on Win
machines."  Same here; and for that matter, I think that when I was at
HSBC, which serves as TLUG's non-virtual meeting place, the vast majority
of machines there were running Windows NT.

(Joe Marchak's to confirm or deny or pass).

I know very well the case against NT and certain MS apps--and I'm not
arguing othewise.  Although the *studies* by Kirch and others are excellent
(see almost any issue of InfoWorld), I otherwise just don't find much of
the *rhetoric* always useful or inspiring.  The machine I'm doing this on
is running MS 98 and RH 5.1.  And given my work and whatnot, my
professional life would be miserable and my computer not as useful if I
went *M$ free* any time fairly soon.

(I'll pass on what would be the immediate reaction of my employer).

Since I'm tired of arguing with--and generally getting my butt kicked
by--Stephen Turnbull (who has convinced me that he's considerably more
intelligent than I am, but not always--by my own biased standards--as
pragmatic or reasonable), I am wondering who are the other people who have
an interest in--among all the usualthings--(1) desktop/enduser Linux;
and/or (2) Linux for SOHO/small business; and/or (3) Linux/MS-based apps
compabitility issues; and of course (4) any news about (1-3).  This list
could be easily revised, of course.  And suggestions are more than welcome.

What I'm thinking is, that if I uncover useful information/solutions/news
about these items, I could the SUBJECT header tag it with "SOHO," and then
some appropriate short title for the matter in question.  That will make it
easier for many people to "null"; and maybe for a few people to focus in.
JB, SB, and  others: worth doing?  Not worth doing?  An informal focus
group needed or completely unnecessary?

What do you think?

Best to all w/all,
TJH