Re: FAQ Wizard and TLUG web site [was Re: tlug: NetWinder ?]

On Fri, Sep 25, 1998 at 07:17:26PM +0900, craigoda@example.com wrote:
> That FAQ wizard is pretty inspiring.  Is it portable to other types
> of FAQs?  Maybe TLUG needs some technical energizing.  :-)

The FAQ Wizard is not my doing.  It is by Python creator Guido van Rossum,
and is included with the Python 1.5.x distribution.  The version I've set
up for the NetWinder FAQ is only very slightly tweaked. (In fact, I did
point this out in item 9.1.)

The FAQ Wizard is quite cool and has really caught on in the Python community.
It is amazing how quickly a motivated group can put together some "community
intelligence."  And it is handy that it is locally searchable, because the
FAQs tend to grow like weeds (which is both good and bad).  There are FAQs
about Python (of course), CGI scripting with Python, and a number of smaller
Python projects/SIGs.  (The NetWinder FAQ hasn't grown as quickly as I'd
hoped. It is interesting how various Open Source efforts differ.)

> On another note, I was wondering if it was advisable to try to put the
> entire TLUG site into a CVS repository and then distributing the

Not really related... but the FAQ Wizard uses RCS for a backend, so that the
administrator has the ability to restore old questions/answers in case the
contributors get out of control.

(I'm still a heavy RCS user, even on "single-handed" projects.  I like the
multi-level undo that allows me to recover from the occasional bad hair day.)

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo   ICQ: 5981586
Python Software Activity Member  http://www.python.org/psa/