Re: tlug: info Japanese support, docbook Japanese?

From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>
Subject: tlug: info Japanese support, docbook Japanese?
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 14:34:13 +0900 (JST)

turnbull> >>>>> "Craig" == Craig Toshio Oda <craigoda@example.com> writes:
turnbull>
turnbull>     Craig> I've been testing out the GNU info system.  The Japanese
turnbull>     Craig> info pages appear to be in JIS and I can read the info
turnbull>     Craig> pages with GNU Emacs.  However, I can't read the pages with
turnbull>     Craig> jed-ja, info, or XEmacs.
turnbull>
turnbull> I doubt standalone info can do it without patches, although you might
turnbull> be able to pipe the page through jconv, turn it into EUC and read it
turnbull> in a kterm.  Probably info would get thoroughly confused by raw JIS or
turnbull> ISO-2022-7.

Thanks for the information.  This is actually what I was thinking, so I
spent about an hour doing searches for patches to info and couldn't find
any.  Maybe people just read these things in Emacs/XEmacs and there is
no patch for the standalone info viewer?

turnbull> I have no idea what the problem with XEmacs is; I don't have the pages
turnbull> in question.  Certainly XEmacs has no trouble with the Japanese info
turnbull> pages we supply (for SKK and tm).  More Stallman sabotage?

This is good to know that XEmacs works with other info pages.  I think that
when I did a recent upgrade of my system, I messed up some configuration
settings for XEmacs.   Although, I did have the same problem on a clean
installation of Debian Hamm-jp that I have on my laptop.  Hmm...   I'll
keep trying a few things.  It is really good to know that it works on
someone's system  though.

Regards,
Craig