Re: tlug: Game CD copyright question

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com> writes:

> Probably the same.  Most Japanese commercial law looks like US law (or
> the international equivalent, which also usually looks like US law or
> vice versa).

The Japanese copyright act is one of the few pieces of Jse
legislation that is available on the Web.  Like US law, Japan
handles software protection under copyright (some of us think
this is rather bizarre --- copyright law is primarily designed to
foster variety in creative output in the arts; the incentives are
not necessarily right when you're looking at a mass of algorithms
that want marshalling, standardization and widespread use to
maximize their utility to society).  When I get to it, I'll check
for the actual provision, but Steve T is almost certainly right
in substance.

>     Howard> I also remember hearing that in Japan, you're allowed to
>     Howard> copy stuff (like nearly complete textbooks) for
>     Howard> educational purposes?  Anybody hear anything about this?

The word in the US legislation is "fair use", and it does not
extend to complete or near-complete reproduction.  I'll check as
well for a similar provision in the Japanese act when I do the
other ruffling.

> Ie, the basic story is that in Japan there is no Kinko's to do it
> legally, conveniently, and fairly cheaply, and very little
> enforcement.

Erm, there are at least two branches of that very chain in Nagoya
--- open 24 hours too.  Maybe the Big Dango (as opposed to Big
Apple, geddit?) has a bit of cashing up to do?

:)

--
-x80
Frank G Bennett, Jr         @@