tlug: Re: Transitioning to Linux/Linux in an MS World.

Marcus Metlzer writes:
>Seems like the problem is with the customers who want Word files. If
>they would shift to Linux ...
>Well, that want happen any time soon I guess. But I think TeX or LaTeX
>is much better than Word especially for scientific and technical text.

I hate to disagree with people who are much smarter than I am.  And Marcus
Metzler easily qualifies for that.  But I have to believe that the problem
is distinctly NOT with the customers who want Word files.  In terms of
endusers, the vast majority of the corporate world is an MS OS/MS Office
World.   Not to mention that most OEM argeements bundle not only MS OS but
also, at the miminal, MS Word and Excel.  But not only is MS OS 90% of the
installed base on PC`s, but even on MAC OS`s MS Office--and MS Word--reigns
supreme.  Suggest you check the figures for what are the most widely
installed, most used, and best selling PC apps.  This is not--I repeat
NOT--a technical debate about what is superior.

Hoog`s query  is about realistically using Linux, as a SOHO professional or
other, in an MS World.   **Compatibily with MS is a necessity rather than
an option**.  At least not an option for anyone wants to function, get
paid, and keep on working.  Maybe in the Tech, Sci, and certain other
groves of academia, the Linux Professors get to call the shots.  Nowhere
else; and no time soon.  And as Marcus Metzler rightfully observes, don`t
hold your breath waiting for a mass corporate migration to Linux.  (Or
query some of your fellow Tluggers  as to why such a migration might be
undesirable.  Besides not very likely.)

Enough ranting out of frustration and back to the issue at hand.  Simple
answer to De Hoog:  Don`t transition to Linux . . . yet.  The applications
are just aren`t there.  At least don`t transition a number of
standard--dare I say basic--enduser tasks.  Right now, the knock-down
superiority of Linux is as a server/sys adm machine.  If you have your own
lan/intranet, server, et cetera, there you can make some effective and
cost-saving  moves.  But as for what`ve you described: forget it--for now.

As for concerns with filters/conversions/compability, Brother: welcome to
the club.  Not to enlist him on my side or indict him in my raving, but JB
not that long ago queried Filtrix about doing a port to Linux.   A Linux
version would indeed help greatly--but no time soon.  Applix does have MS
Word import and export filters, but these can be shaky and seem also to lag
one version behind whatever the current versions of Office is.
Furthermore, if your documents have serious formatting--graphics, charts,
and what not, I suggest you simply don`t risk it.  You`re getting paid to
do a job: client wants it in Word, client goddamn gets it in Word.

Right now, for people like yourself, Linux should be about increasing your
computing effectiveness,  expanding your options.  Don`t apologize for
being a Multi-OS user.  When your MS set-up gets the job done quicker and
better, use it.  F--- the people who don`t understand that.

Good news, sort of.  Having used a lot of Wordperfect in the past, which is
now available for Linux, I`ve found their filters--import and export--to be
generally excellent and up to date.  Also, but not necessarily, Corel is
probably testing the waters.  If enough versions of Linux WP sell, Corel
Office won`t be far behind.  That will handle almost anything MS can dish
out--and send it back as well.  I like Applix.   One or two more
versions/refinements and hey--maybe it`s right there.  But I would wait, if
I were you.

Other good news, I think.  On a related topic, Scott Stone said some time
earlier (for the record, I have no professional association with PHT and
poor Scott does not share in or even condone my madness) that commerical
development for Linux has been increasing at an amazing pace and hence in a
year or two, all these issues will hopefully be non-issues.

Let me tell you this: if Linux/Applix--MS Office comapabilty were
considerably more seamless and painless than it is now, you would have shot
at living in the sort of world that Marcus Metlzer talks about: one where
your clients might damn well be switching to Linux, or even just more than
happy to have the material in a Linux native format.

As well, a considerable number of machines where I work would be booting
out Bill and booting up with the Penguin.  Want Linux to really compete
with  MS?  Then our smart boys have to realize that Linux apps must be able
to co-exist and be compatible with MS.  At least for any future that I can
see.  According to some estimates, M$  now is point 5--that`s dot 5--% of
the US GDP.

Fellow Tluggers,  take the concerns of people like myself--and I will
include De Hoog, for now, in this heretical group--just a little more
seriously, and you`ll have our undying respect, appreciation, et cetera, as
well as a helluva of lot more cash flowing in and more people getting to
love the joy of the--at least occasional--line command.

Difficult and even scary as it will be, Linux has a helluva a better
future, finally, as an alternative/option to MS than as the poor man`s Unix.

Enough.  I`ll be quiet, and good, and do my best not to post to the list on
this topic anymore.

Regardless, best to all with all,
TJH