tlug: Game CD copyright question

Michael Chiu wrote:
> > I read today that the 2 big N64 emulator projects ...
> Wow... that sounds cool... although everyone knows that you're not
> supposed to use those emulators to run commercial programs, right?

I have heard that in the U.S., you're allowed by law to make one
copy of software you own for 'backup purposes'.  Does anybody know if
this is true or false?  Does anybody know what Japan's take on it is?
Seems strange to make a 'backup copy' of a game CD, or music CD in
mp3 form, but that's what I've always done.  :)   [Distributing them,
however, is definitely not covered under this, though.}

I also remember hearing that in Japan, you're allowed to copy stuff
(like nearly complete textbooks) for educational purposes?  Anybody
hear anything about this?

later,
Howard