Re: tlug: Re: Many Faces on Linux

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Rex Walters wrote:
>
> > If making money simply from selling cd's, documentation, and support
> > isn't appealing, consider letting others do the gui work for you.  If
>
> What do you think of this idea: source-included shareware.  The license
> agreement would work basically the same way that other shareware does:
>
> 1) The distribution package includes both source and a pre-compiled
> binary.
>
> 2) It may be freely distributed, but must be distributed intact, with all
> README files, source code, licensing agreement, and other documentation
> included.  (This would make it as easy to distribute as GPL applications
> are.)
>
> 3) If you use it beyond the 30-day evaluation period, you are required to
> register.
>
> 4) At the author's discretion, the source may not be used in any other
> product without being licensed (or the author may wave this and allow it
> to be used).
>
> This would both allow open distribution of a program, while providing a
> framework under which the author might make some return on her time.
> There is a lot of very good GPL software out there, and if the author's
> asked for a registration fee, or even just said that it was
> "donation-ware" and to send them something if you felt like it but you
> were not obligated too, I think many Linux users would cooperate.  At
> least, I would.
>
> What do the rest of you think?  Would you be support Open Source shareware
> and/or "donation-ware" software for Linux?

I like this idea.  It'd probably give RMS a heart attack, though, but
that's probably a good selling point, IMHO :)  I think a lot of people
that are currently developing shareware are kind of leery of Linux for the
same reason that ManyFaces's author is - they fear that they can't make
money with a Linux port.  This idea would help to change that, I think.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)