Re: tlug: Problems with my harddisk

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:

> I am having considerable trouble with my IDE harddisk.
> Within the last weeks it stopped operating about four times.
> As this machine is used by two persons heavily during work
> and also hosts some Web and ftp services, you probably can
> imagine that I am getting somewhat uneasy.
>
> The disk is a Quantum 3.8GB IDE drive.  Now, my first
> question, is it possible that the drive switches itself off
> when it gets too hot? (We have centrally regulated
> air-conditioning here, which is switched off since the
> beginning of this month -- all failures were in this
> period.)  Second, are their any recommendations for good
> *reliable* IDE harddisks? (I don't mind if it is a bit more
> expensive as long as it is reliable.)
>
> Thanks in advance,

Couple things to checK:

1.  Does your CMOS think that it should power down the drive after X
minutes of inactivity?  If so, disable that.

2.  Does your motherboard have a CMD640 or RZ1000 IDE interface?  If so,
replace the board.

3.  Is the power connector possibly vibrating loose from the port on the
back of the disk?  This actually happened to me.. make sure it's in there
nice and tight.

4.  This is a Quantum drive?  That could be the problem right there.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)