Re: tlug: SCSI problem

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Neil Booth wrote:

> I bought a zip drive today, and after plugging it in, Linux wouldn't
> boot.
>
> I've managed to boot Linux by unplugging the external zip drive,
> booting, and then dynamically adding the connection via /proc/scsi/scsi
> and mounting.
>
> After thinking (!), reading HOWTOs and the like, I've realized it's
> because my ZIP drive is SCSI ID 5, and my Hard Drive is SCSI ID 6. The
> ZIP drive is allocated to sda, and the HD to sdb. The lilo.conf and
> other config files like fstab all expect the HD to be sda. Hence the
> problem.
>
> Now, what I would _really_ like to do is to move the hard drive's
> (Quantum Fireball) SCSI ID to position 3 or something like that. Not
> knowing much about hardware or SCSI, I don't know if this is possible.
> Is it? (Incidentally, what determines the SCSI IDs in the first place?)

Very possible.  Just change the jumpers on the drive so that it responds
to a different SCSI ID.  See your manual for details.  if you've lost the
manual, the drive manufacturer's website probably has a jumper
configuration guide.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)