tlug: Re: Linux taking over the globe?

At 16:13 98/09/22 +0900, Chris Seikya wrote:

>Do we really want to lower the bar?  Do we want to have a linux box on
>every desktop?  Do we want to replace Windows as the OS that is chosen by
>damned near every company on the globe?
>
>I submit that we do NOT.

Okay.  But I think that the dumb Tluggers, for whom I will appoint myself
the `Spokesperson of the Moment` or SpM [tm], are actually asking for
something different.  Someone, Stephen Turnbull I think, talked about the
pleasure of getting his fingers greasy by actually working on the engine
(shades of the Starr report?).   Fine and good, but if I have to hotwire my
car to start it--or have to constantly pop the hood and fiddle around, then
either I`m not a very good mechanic or it`s not a very good car (or both).
>From a Sys Adm point of view, that`s how NT looks.  A constant pain and
drain.   Whereas for Linux, once you set it up, it works.  And you can make
changes and reconfigurations on the fly with much less trouble and hassle
than with NT.  I would think then that Linux is just better designed, just
better engineered.

>From an enduser point of view, though, it looks a little different.  And I
think that Linux developers and programmers should take the various
enduser/desktop markets a little more seriously.  I`ll give you four reasons.

First, there`s some money to had that will flow back into Linux development
and programming.

Second, there`s a lot of people out there who are using computers to get
things done.  They can keep paying the MS monopoly tax--and further support
and perpetuate the entire culture of stupidity that you and Turnbull
rightfully despise.   As well, they can continue to waste valuable time,
money, and resources, and reward MS and others for shoddy design and
hateful engineering.   Or they can find alternatives.  I know a decent
number of people who use computers for wp, spreadsheets, graphics and video
editing, webpage and database building, and other typical SOHO/small
business functions.   But they want to turn on their computers and work at
these various things: not necessarily at programming and development.

Third, there`s a lot of colleges and universities out there that are
considering--but not yet widely adopting--Linux.  Instead, you have mixed
Unix/NT enviroments with NT and MS Office ruling the desktop and imprinting
generations of endusers.  If Linux had applications and a desktop interface
that *students* could readily use, however, that situation would change
drastically and soon: Netscape, a slightly better Applix, and some sort of
Xbased E-mail client would  be a great start.  Having some labs of Lintel
rather than Wintel machines would also send a little more money flowing in
the right direction--and it would stop rewarding MS and others for some
very bad behavior.

Fourth and finally, NT did not make inroads against/beat the crap out of
UNIX  by being superior in performance, price, or capabilities.  And NT
still is not.  Windows tookover the desktop; and these endusers in turn
chose what they knew, some sort of Windows (NT) for their networks.   If
you don`t have desktop/enduser functionality--and ideally, something of a
presence, you will eventually be locked out of many other markets.  Often,
in both business and academia, the decisions are NOT being made by people
who know what they`re doing: the decisions are being made by the people
authorized to spend the money.  (Btw, guess what they see every time they
boot up).

Hence, when Chris Sekiya writes:

>I strongly disagree with oversimplifying linux tasks in an attempt to
>reach a wider audience.

I wonder if we`re really talking about the same thing.  I think that Linux
is attracting a wider although limited audience because it is understood as
alternative to MS Windows and MS NT.  But the tasks that I and other people
are trying to get done are not *Linux* tasks per se.  They`re  tasks that
go along with using any computer, or any intranet, or even the Internet.  I
think that certain basic and repetitive functions should be made simple as
a matter of both safety and design.  I should not have to go the fusebox of
my apartment to turn off or on a light.   I should not have to go out into
a thunderstorm and pop the hood of my car to start the engine.  My ability
to do both might show that I have insider knowledge--but for my own
convenience, as as for others, I would still want an easier way to go about
things.  That *easier way* to me would--or at least, could--be the result
of good design and sound engineering.   Nothing to apologize for or be
ashamed about.