Re: tlug: Web browsing from a batch file?

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Darren Cook wrote:

> Is it possible to have a batch file (started by cron each night) access a
> web server and then email the resulting HTML page? Is this something best
> done in perl? Can it be done with perl -e do you think?

If it's accessing the http server on the same machine, you could use
Getweb, a perl module. Granted, this one is a bit of a bugger to get
rolling. It's a tad outdated, so you need to install some older modules
first, but all in all it works quite nicely. You can have cron email it
a request to get a url (to user getweb) and it will return mail with
the resultant page(s).

You can find it on any CPAN site. I use the one at Hokudai:

ftp://ftp.eos.hokudai.ac.jp/pub/lang/CPAN/

David Riley

Hachinohe Institute of Technology
88-1, Myo, Ohbiraki
Hachinohe-shi Aomori-ken