Re: tlug: Hustling NT 5 out the door

At 13:05 98/09/22 +0900, Joh De Hoog wrote:

>While we're on the subject of upgrades, was TurboLinux 2.0 a free
>upgrade from 1.0? What about 3.0? It seems to me some of your statement
>above could be applied to at least some Linux distributions as well.
>
>(Then again, I didn't come to a Linux group expecting anything from MS
>to get fair treatment.)

Easy there, big guy.  Enjoying the hell out of your website, btw.

Strictly speakly, all the Turbo Linux upgrades are free if you want to
download them yourself and if also you don`t expect tech support.  You pay
about $40/50 for the CD and manual, and that does go to PHT, but what
you`re technically/legally buying is the convenience: NOT the software.
You could also install your copy of TurboLinux over an intranet/lan,  and
use included the mail, ftp, news, and web server programs to get about
$5000 worth of MS functionality.  On that particular topic, there`s a few
different case studies at <www.linux.org/news/index.html>.

But I thank you also for the following ref:

>Here's a different view, for those who are interested.
>http://www.internet-nexus.com/nt5/ntws5b2_review.html

As for the anti-MS, it seems to me that you`re absolutely right that it
might be a rallying point but it is not--by and large--a selling point.
I`ve only been a member of TLUG for two months now, but more than a few
people that I`ve met work in  largely MS enviroments, like myself.  For now
and at least the next couple years, the more easily Linux can coexist with
MS, the more popular, supported, and widespread Linux is likely to become
among many endusers, SOHOs, and even certain colleges and universities.
When--hopefully not if--a substantial migration to Linux does occur, it
will happen because Linux applications offer the convenience and features
that many endusers have come to expect.  I believe in one of your earlier
posts, you made a similar comment.

As for `hustling NT 5 out the door,` I believe that JB is offering informed
speculation which might unfortunately read like Linux dogma.  Many Tluggers
tend to make their points a bit forcefully.   But the Linux/NT debate has
received a great deal of press over the past six months, and more than a
few people expect that MS will turn to face the Linux challenge sooner
rather than latter.

Best with all the sense and nonsense,
TJH