Re: tlug: Mew on (X)Emacs the way to go?

    Stephen> But your users have to interrupt what they're doing,
    Stephen> switch focus (not just keyboard, but eyes/hand/brain) to
    Stephen> the file manager...

    ash> I'm not so sure about that. It is not hard to save a file to
    ash> common directory.

If they remember to do it at the time, etc etc.  But what if it's one
of those "Yo, bro, NAAAAICE SLIDES, copy moratte ii ka na..." "OK,
heck, while I'm at it" -> "To: all" situations?

    Stephen> Raaaaight.  Shit, *I* wouldn't go to that much trouble to
    Stephen> save a few MB.

    ash> <RANT>
    ash> But thats my point. Its not saving a few MB. If I send that
    ash> 10MB file to 'all' ( maybe 400 users ), I'm suddenly using
    ash> 4GB!
    ash> </RANT>

Won't catch me arguing about that.  Denial of service is an attack on
society.  But the user isn't thinking that way, not at the moment.
And when you yank his/her chain, _you're_ the bad guy....
"Whaaaaaaine.  I dinnt duit on PURpose or anything....  Whaaaaaine...."

Let the software do the policing; if it's done right, the users won't
ever notice.  Can't beat that deal with a stick, can you?  :D

    ash> I could come up with something to automate this process. The
    ash> much more difficult task in my mind is educating people to
    ash> use it.

Right.

    ash> Then again, maybe I'm just to anal about this.

Wrong.

;-)

    Stephen> So why don't you fix the UI, man?  (Sorry, I realize that
    Stephen> that was a very bad joke for someone who supports M$
    Stephen> apps.)

    ash> Maybe I'll fix it by installing XEmacs as the mailer :)

Well, I dunno.  But you know, once you've got the elisp function to
make external bodies, one line in /usr/lib/xemacs/lisp/default.el (or
whatever it is nowadays) and _everybody_ is using it because the key
got rebound while they weren't looking.

--
"Pictures of Lily, made my life so wonderful...."

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091