Re: tlug: Mew on (X)Emacs the way to go?

    ash> I try to get people to just save stuff in a central location
    ash> and send mail as to where to find it. Samba works well for
    ash> this, but M$ lusers mentality is "Oh, I'll just send this
    ash> 10mb power point presentation to "all", I wouldn't want
    ash> anyone to miss it".

    Stephen> When I want to send an attachment from VM, I hit C-C C-A,
    Stephen> and respond to prompts for file name, MIME
    Stephen> content-description, and MIME content-type, with the last
    Stephen> defaulted according to a configurable alist of file types
    Stephen> (which normally just looks at extensions but optionally
    Stephen> can be made to use file(1) IIRC, and maybe mailcap too).

    Stephen> I could (or I could probably get KJ to) make it create
    Stephen> external bodies (FTP, HTTP, NFS, Samba, sneakernet, you
    Stephen> name it, all configurable in .emacs ;-) just as easily,
    Stephen> 'cause this is Emacs, after all.[1] But your users have
    Stephen> to interrupt what they're doing, switch focus (not just
    Stephen> keyboard, but eyes/hand/brain) to the file manager (which
    Stephen> sucks under Windose), find Samba, copy it, confirm where
    Stephen> in Samba it is, and type in (or cut'n'paste) the file
    Stephen> name by hand in the mail.

I'm not so sure about that. It is not hard to save a file to common
directory. You don't need the file manager, just do a "save-as" and
either pick to server and share to save it on. In fact, it find it
even faster to just type in the whatever-M$-calls-it path to the file,
ie:
	\\mySambaBox\inThisSharedDirectory\asThisFile.doc

Ok, its not exactly drag'n'drop, but its not that difficult or time
consuming.

    Stephen> Raaaaight.  Shit, *I* wouldn't go to that much trouble to
    Stephen> save a few MB.

<RANT>
But thats my point. Its not saving a few MB. If I send that 10MB file
to 'all' ( maybe 400 users ), I'm suddenly using 4GB! Most sensible
people will delete my silly file right away, so long term it won't
require near that much storage. But still, I see it as a big waste.
</RANT>

    Stephen>  Howard Abbey sings the praises of modularity---but that
    Stephen> only works in Un*x because the user never has to deal
    Stephen> with modularity itself once the wizard casts her spell.

Well, I suppose if I could bring myself to learn enough about VB, or
whatever scripting language M$ uses these days, I could come up with
something to automate this process. The much more difficult task in my
mind is educating people to use it. Then again, maybe I'm just to anal
about this.

    Stephen> So why don't you fix the UI, man?  (Sorry, I realize that
    Stephen> that was a very bad joke for someone who supports M$
    Stephen> apps.)

Maybe I'll fix it by installing XEmacs as the mailer :)

Regards,

	Andy