Re: tlug: e-Mailers [was:Mew on (X)Emacs the way to go?

John De Hoog wrote:
> In any case, one of the selling points of Netscape's In-box Direct
> service is that you can view html right in your email preview window.
If you are set on this feature, chances are others as well, and someone
will provide a system for you to use, as it sounds like you found.

> Not that I'm against modularity, of course; but some of the loops I've
> been told to go through just to get basic mail functionality are too
> much for many of the people to whom Linux is now being sold as a Windows
> alternative, in the "battle for the desktop."
Two things:
1. basic mail functionality = Multiple Pop Servers?!?

2. I agree that Linux is not (yet) a good option for people who aren't
willing to dig into configuration files & man pages.  While the graphical
configuration tools (such as those in RedHat & TurboLinux) help a lot,
they aren't complete in their coverage, and sometimes don't work at all.
These need to be improved and expanded before I would recommend Linux to
a non-computer person to use on their PC.  For instance, I expect the new
Turbo Linux will have a Mail configuration tool configuring fetchmail for
POP servers, with an 'automatic execution upon PPP dialup' option, right
Scott?

There is a basic conflict between power & ease of use.  The more stuff I
stick in a Swiss Army Knife, the larger & harder to pull out what I want
it is.  Everybody wants power & ease of use.  Linux gives more power.
Windows more ease of use.  If you want power, you buy more software.  NT
gives some power and pretends to be easy to use, IMHO.  The ideal is to
have the power available, but hide it with easy interfaces.  I.E. Have a
powerful car engine with all complex adjustments available under a hood,
with the steering wheel & basic control pedals inside (with optional stick
shift).  Perhaps one day Linux will get there.

Currently, if you want a muscle car, you have to get under the hood.  Or
perhaps find a good mechanic or hobbyist in your area.

later,
Howard