Re: tlug: Mew on (X)Emacs the way to go?

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Michael Casinghino wrote:
>
> >So far, I have been using Pine 3.96, with Mule (GNU Emacs) as the
> >default editor.  I use Pine from a kterm so that I can read Japanese.
> >Here is why I don't recommend this to anybody :
>
> Umm, call me silly, but I just use the built-in editor in Pine and enter my
> Japanese that way . . .

I think (and many would agree), that Pico is not a very versatile editor.

> >While writing this, I wanted to double check the version of Pine that
> >I was using.  To do this, I had to exit emacs, postpone my message, go
>
> Call me silly again, but when I want to check my Pine version I just look at
> the upper left side of the status bar, just below the window title bar, where
> it displays the version number.  Mine is Pine 3.96LJ1.b7.  Or maybe not all
> Pines do this??

Until today, I was not aware of the existence of a Japanese version of
Pine, so, to input Japanese characters I must invoke Emacs, (which I
love), and this hides the upper-left hand side of the Pine screen.  But
this is not the point.  The point is that I don't like the fact that I
have to `postpone' the message I am writing to do just about anything.
Like for example, I just now got new mail and I would like to see from
whom.  OK, I will postpone...

> >A while ago, I experimented with some other mail programs.  Most could
> >not handle Japanese.  As a reward for my efforts, I have the following
>
> That's why I use Pine :-)

Pine is great.  I would never deny that.  (I would deny that Pico is
great).  However, there are a few things that irk me, so I am not
satisfied.  The worst is this business of having to postpone a message.  I
I think that XEmacs and Mew may solve many of my current problems
(or pet-peeves).  However, I hesitate to go through the headaches of
switching, because headaches give me headaches.  I will look into Japanese
Pine first, but I have a feeling that I will not like Pico, and end up
using Emacs anyway.  Or, I may decide to install a Japanese capable vi.  I
hate fixing things that "ain't broke."

Anyway, thanks for your comments.  Truthfully, I wouldn't have noticed the
Pine version in the upper-left, even if it was visible.  Maybe I need to
rtfm-again, Emacs, Mew, Pine, procmail, etc.   Or maybe I will just start
using Mail.