Re: tlug: Mew on (X)Emacs the way to go?

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Michael Casinghino wrote:

>So far, I have been using Pine 3.96, with Mule (GNU Emacs) as the
>default editor.  I use Pine from a kterm so that I can read Japanese.
>Here is why I don't recommend this to anybody :

Umm, call me silly, but I just use the built-in editor in Pine and enter my
Japanese that way . . .

>While writing this, I wanted to double check the version of Pine that
>I was using.  To do this, I had to exit emacs, postpone my message, go

Call me silly again, but when I want to check my Pine version I just look at
the upper left side of the status bar, just below the window title bar, where
it displays the version number.  Mine is Pine 3.96LJ1.b7.  Or maybe not all
Pines do this??

>A while ago, I experimented with some other mail programs.  Most could
>not handle Japanese.  As a reward for my efforts, I have the following

That's why I use Pine :-)

FWIW, I don't have any problem with the Mule support in Xemacs.  It works well
enough for doing Japanese input.  It was rather the mail clients themselves
that I didn't like.  I found them to be slow and I didn't care for the UI they
had.  Clearly, there are others who like them, so YMMV.  I like Xemacs itself
a lot, though, and use it for any Japanese composition task other than mail
under Linux.

Cheers,

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section