Re: tlug: Mew on (X)Emacs the way to go?

From: John De Hoog <washi@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: Mew on (X)Emacs the way to go?
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 19:36:07 +0900

washi> Doesn't really matter. If Linux is versatile, it has to support what
washi> individual users want; and this individual user wants his In-box HTML
washi> mail without having to use Netscape Navigator. I want it right in my
washi> preview window. I ordered it, so why would I not want it? The technology
washi> exists, and has for years, so why not take advantage of it?

Development of Linux is definitely driven by the needs of those that
use Linux.  The feature you are talking about is possible, but it might
not be as smooth as on some other software packages.  I think this is
because of the lack of demand for this specific feature until now.
As more people start to use Linux, the feature set of software will
expand.

After reviewing the W3 4.0 and Mew docs, I think you can do this within
XEmacs.  XEmacs has inline graphics and will give you an experience closer
to Netscape.  I have not tried this, but I think you can either have mew
read in the .mailcap and launch W3 inside the same window or in a new
window.  Alternately, I think you can do something like M-x w3-open-local.
I'm not sure about this though.   I haven't tried this.

Alternately, you can read and write your mail within Netscape Communicator.
I have tried it this way and it even works with Japanese.  The editor
in Netscape is decent, so if this particular feature is important to you,
you may want to go with Netscape.  The configuration and other general
interface settings of Netscape are also generally easier to use than
something like Mew.

-- Craig

----
Craig Oda craigoda@example.com http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craigoda