Re: tlug: Recommend Japanese KB?? (was: Re: US student moving to Tokyo)

    jb> The Japanese-specific keys are very useful when using Windows,
    jb> less-so when using Linux, since they don't seem to be
    jb> supported properly.  I guess you could define

There's no reason they can't be; in X you can use xkeycaps or
something like that, and it should be possible to write a similar
application to create Linux console keymaps.  Probably been done; I
just don't care enough to find out.

Then you need to customize all the relevant applications, but I think
that in general that's going to exactly one:  your FEP.  You may need
to tell a few bad boys to get their hands of your henkan, but mostly
the FEP gets there first.

    jb> custom-keybindings for that, but I haven't researched how to
    jb> do that in kinput2 and it may not be possible in Jpine.

Of course it's possible; see above.

    jb> Yeah.  I'd like to be able to do a sentence at a time, but
    jb> Canna is so lousy at henkan that it has trouble even with a
    jb> lot of single compounds.  "Hen" takes on great significance in
    jb> "henkan" when you're using Canna :-)

変換 = h e n k a n SPC.  What's the beef?

BTW, I tried typing full sentences for a while the other day, and
found that I'd probably end up with about the same speed with
practice, as I save a few SPC conversions, but need more Ctrl-I and
Ctrl-O extend/retract operations.  I don't think it really makes that
much difference in the end; canna chokes on the same conversions in
both cases, and makes about two or three bushu errors per line.

It would be nice to be able to change the grouping without backing out
of candidate selection....

    >> 1. the 1/4 length space bar.  Changing the keycode (easy in X)
    >> of the

    jb> Doesn't bother me.  If I can't hit a key two inches long,

Wow, big!

Mine's only 3 cm long.  Slightly offset to the left, too, so I have a
little trouble reaching it with my right hand.  This is starting to
sound like page 27, para 4 of the Starr report....

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091