Re: tlug: Mew on (X)Emacs the way to go?

    John> Howard Abbey <habbey@example.com> wrote:

    >> John De Hoog wrote: >... I find Becky! Internet Mail > meets my

    John> It kind of colors my view of other email programs, but I'm
    John> open to suggestions.

I seem to recall it generates garbage headers occasionally, but I
don't get much Becky mail.

    John> You asked about:
    >> > -- template support Another huh?  Is this a large signature
    >> file with fill in the blanks?

    John> No, a template stores boilerplate email which you can then
    John> edit as necessary, to avoid typing the same stuff each time
    John> you, say, send an attachment to a client.

That's what I thought you meant, but ... what good is it?  Eg, for me
(without customizing) I could do that with

C-X C-F "~/VM/templates/flame-on"
M-X "vm-message-mode"

(for the non-Emacs-initiate, the C's mean control, the M's mean Alt,
and the apparently long strings would actually be typed

te TAB fl TAB
vm-mes TAB

using completion, based on my current Emacs configuration and file
hierarchy contents).  And of course I could bind them to keystrokes
and menus, giving 1 keystroke plus mouse click access.

Or if I was mass-mailing with variations, I send to one person, then
recover the buffer with C-X b "sent" TAB RET, edit the To: header and
the text, send, etc.  This doesn't all have to be done at once; these
days I restart XEmacs about once a week (because it got rebuilt, I
beta test; it used to be about once a month when the U had a power
failure), so that buffer hangs about indefinitely.

I've been doing this since 1981 (with variations, I've changed MUA
seven or eight times in that period).

It's a different world here....

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091