Re: tlug: Recommend Japanese KB?? (was: Re: US student moving to Tokyo)

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Hernando TANAKA wrote:

> The disadvantages (for me) of using jp-keyboard are;
>
>   - Some extra keys are added
>
> 	Especialy for notebook PCs, which have restricted area
> 	for keys, this means the keys have to be "shrinked" to

Although I prefer Japanese keyboards, I can agree with this.  A lot of
notebooks have poorly designed Japanese keyboards, with the kind of uneven
reduction in key size you mention.  For a desktop machine, I'd rather have
a Japanese keyboard, though, and on a notebook I'd rather live with the
shortcomings than use an English keyboad, if possible.

> 	I can't just accept such a keyboard whose asterisk (*)
> 	is not on Shift-8. (I can't even remember where it was
> 	on a jp-kb)

That's actually one of the things I like about them.  The asterisk key is
shift : on a Japanese keyboard.

Was this your first post on TLUG?  I don't remember seeing your name here
before.  If so, welcome to the list!

Cheers,

Jonathan