tlug: Apache only works with -X

I've got a version of Apache, with a custom module compiled in. There's
another version of Apache running on this machine, so it's in it's own
directory, I've put it on port 88, and I use -d and -f to start it.

#./httpd -X -d /ThePath -f /ThePath/conf/httpd.conf

This works. So then I added the User and Group statements to httpd.conf
(copied from the other Apache), and removed the -X, and now the module is
complaining that it can't open a file. I can get pages that don't go
through this module, and Apache started okay (ps tells me there are 8
copies and they are running as the User I specified; plus one copy as the
root; plus I can see the other apache on this machine).

The file permissions on the problem file are -rw-rw-rw- and I used chown to
change ownership from root to the user.

Before I start spreading debug lines through the module I wondered I'm
missing something obvious here?

Would the current directory be different running as root and as a different
user? The module assumes it is ServerRoot, so all paths are relative to that.

Darren