Re: tlug: US student moving to Tokyo

    Jonathan> On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Rob Bickel wrote:
    >> Do you plan to use Japanese on it?  If so, I recommend buying
    >> here to get the Japanese keyboard in it.  It may not mean much
    >> to you now, but if you plan to use a Japanese OS or Japanese in
    >> linux, it is much better to have a Japanese keyboard.

    Jonathan> A strong second on this.  In fact, I have come to prefer
    Jonathan> the Japanese keyboard to such an extent that if I were
    Jonathan> to leave Japan for an extended period, , I would take
    Jonathan> several spare Japanese keyboards with me in case I
    Jonathan> spilled coffee in a keyboard or built a new machine or
    Jonathan> anything.  Of course, I would also be running either a
    Jonathan> Japanese-capable or Japanese-localized OS on any machine
    Jonathan> I had, too.

Just to keep opinions balanced :), I have to put in a vote against
Japanese keyboards. In fact, many of the Japanese in my office use
English keyboards. I just don't like the placement of several keys;
underbar '_', tilde '~', and the small space bar come to mind.

To be fair, I should point out that I do very little Japanese input,
so my modest needs are easily meet.

At the end of the day, its what one is used to. If you are already
used to a QWERTY keyboard, I see no reason to change.

If I've been missing out on the benefits of Japanese keyboards,
please, someone enlighten me.

Regards,

	Andy