Re: tlug: Mew on (X)Emacs the way to go?

John De Hoog wrote:
>... I find Becky! Internet Mail
> meets my needs pretty well:
Never heard of it.  Is it graphically based?  Where can I find it / more
info?

I like Mutt very much.  Based on elm, more difficult than pine I guess,
easier than Emacs.  (I apologize, I still haven't learn enough command
characters to do simple file editing in Emacs.)  However, like Mew on
Emacs (I think), it concentrates on mail reading.  The programs I use
for other functionality:

> -- polling multiple POP servers automatically
fetchmail
> -- filtering and all that
procmail  w/ anti-spam rc file SpamBouncer
> -- displaying html posts
mailcap file & lynx/Netscape  (err... well it SHOULD work.  I haven't
 gotten around to editing it yet.  Anybody want to save me from looking
up the appropriate man pages?)
> -- multiple, visible signatures
Huh?  Mutt includes signatures.  If you mean rotate signatures, a script
file could do it I guess.

> -- template support
Another huh?  Is this a large signature file with fill in the blanks?
> -- threaded views
internal to Mutt
> -- simple configuration
Well, while Mutt is simple to configure, the amount of functionality
of procmail is directly related to what you put in.  (It is VERY
powerful.)  Fetchmail is pretty easy, but you actually have to read some
 man pages.  :)

Other features:
easy attachment handling
mailbox filename completion / listing of alternatives
choose your own text editor (vi / joe / Emacs / Applix?, whatever ...)
As much or little header control as you want.
and other more obscure relatively unimportant stuff.

How about other mail progs?  How much did I miss by learning elm, then
mutt, instead of PINE?

later,
Howard

P.S.  For the nosy of you who noticed this was sent with Netscape: my
mail options at work are Netscape & mh-mail w/ Emacs...