tlug: US student moving to Tokyo

Hello all:
	This is my first post to the TLUG group. (I've been lurking for a week
or so)  I'm a student at the university of michigan studying Computer
Science.  I will be studying at Todai beginning in mid october.  I am
currently in the States and will be arriving in Tokyo Oct15 or so.
Using this year abroad as my excuse, I have finally justified to myself
the purchase of a notebook.  I have a couple questions before I make the
purchase.  First and foremost, am I better of buying while still in the
US?  (my current plan)  I am currently leaning very heavily towards the
Dell Latitude CPi266XT.  (yes, I know its neomagic)  Concerning
notebooks, are there any problems with issues such as voltage (will 110
volts agree with a notebook?) and the phone system?  Also, does anyone
hav eany experience with linux on one of these dell machines?

Thanks for any help with these questions.  I look forward to arriving in
tokyo and will try to make it to the first TLUG meeting I can.

Thanks again,
John