RE: tlug: Building a Linux box...

> On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, Sean Bennett wrote:
>
> >Can whose who know the backalleys of Akihabara recommend
> >some shops to checkout for used/outdated components;
[...]
> What day(s) are you going to be doing this Akihabara crawl?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jonathan Byrne

Hi Jonathan;

Sorry for the late reply - actually I got your message after I returned from
Tokyo - Last Sunday, Monday, Tuesday;  I actually did my Akihabara crawl on
Tuesday;  it would have been nice to check out the shops you recommended (I
did make it to Plathome - picked up RH5.1). I got the beginnings of a linux
box - a 486 100mhz; though only 8 meg of ram - it takes 30 pin modules -
does anyone know about/where I can get simm stackers or adapters??

Next on my list are a harddrive or two, a monitor, modem, possibly a cdrom
drive, and a network hub/nic's ;  used if I can find them, new otherwise.

Regarding notebooks, I saw a few, but ran out of time; this is more of a
luxury item, so I might just hold out until I find a liberetto or B5 sized
book...

I hope to make it back down to Tokyo in Oct; I'll let you know of any
planned 'Akiba-crawls' when I know;  maybe I should try to catch one of
Sigi's tours; I somewhat familiar with some of the larger/mainstream shops,
but wonder what I am missing down all those narrow alleys and hidden
stairwells... ;-)

Thanks!

Sean.
sean@example.com