tlug: Re: Many Faces on Linux

Hi,

Darren forwarded this to me so I could answer for myself :)

There is an HP-UX port of Many Faces.  I wrote the X11 GUI more than
5 years ago, and it is based on the code from the DOS version of
Many Faces, not the Win-95 version, so it doesn't have all of the
new features.  You can probably still find it for download at
the IGS archive site.

I keep it compatible with the latest engine since I use it on my workstation
at HP to run on IGS and NNGS, the internet go servers.  But I don't
give away or sell and recent HP-UX version, since the current version
is rather buggy.

The main issue with doing a Linux port is finding the time.  I work full
time for HP, have two young children, and need to spend the rest of my time
upgrading the engine to remain competitive.

I do enjoy writing user interfaces, since I get more immediate gratification
than I can get form time spent on the engine.  But most of my GUI time
is budgeted to adding new features to the Win-95 interface.  I've written
at least 7 GUI interfaces for Many Faces already :)

The engine is extremely portable, written in simple ANSI C, without
endianness sensitivities.

I would be more interested in a Linux port if I thought I could make some
money from it, since time I spent on it would take away time from
other projects that are money-makers.  I don't use Linux myself, but
my impression of the Linux community is that they would not be interested
in paying for game software.

David Fotland