Re: tlug: IGS/Go How-To

>> I highly recommend the commercial version of ManyFaces by the way.  Do a
>> web search on the keys "fotland many faces of go".  A little pricey (US
>> $89 from samarkand) but well worth it, IMHO.
>
>I found out that there's an HPUX port of ManyFaces as well.  Apparently
>the author works for HP... wonder if he could do a Linux port?

Bringing this thread a bit more back on topic, here's why I think you'll
have trouble convincing him. I'd like to hear counter-arguments, as this
will apply for lots of Windows software:

1.ManyFaces (the recent versions) uses MFC for the user interface. AFAIK
there is no easy way to port this, so the user interface would have to be
done from scratch.

2.The user interface is the least enjoyable part of the project.

3.Are there enough Linux users who'd be interested in *paying* for go
software?

The author has been reluctant to do even a Windows CE port because the
differences between normal MFC and MFC for CE are significant.

OTOH, the non-interface part should just be a recompile. The HPUX port is
probably just compiled with a telnet interface for playing on IGS/NNGS.
I've not heard it's commercially available.

Darren