tlug: VideoCD format

Scott Stone writes:

 > What program for Linux can play VideoCD?  xanim can't do it.. I had to
 > watch my borrowed DS9 episode under (gasp) Windows 95, which would crash
 > (well, the mpeg player at least would, and once or twice it took out Win95
 > as well) when it hit a bad frame... very annoying :).  Is there a Linux
 > solution?

The only good solution is MpegTV which unfortunately is not
freeware. It is shareware and will cost you $10 for the full
version. I am not sure what kind of restrictions the shareware version
has. Take a look at http://www.mpegtv.com/.
As far as I know MpegTV is not totally imune to bad frames, meaning
there could also be crashes. The safest method is to copy the mpeg
file to the harddisk because in the case of those CDs the bad frames
are caused by the bad quality of the CD media. It strongly depends on
the CD-Rom drive if you will have a smooth playback.
Did you get a green one? Those are the bad ones.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
Department of Physics    | $B")(B $B#2#7#4!<#8#5#1#0(B
Toho University          | $B@example.com)A%66;T;0;3#2!<#2!<#1(B
Miyama 2-2-1, Funabashi, | $BElK.Bg3X(B  $BM}3XIt(B  $BJ*M}(B
Chiba 274-8510           |
Japan			 |
e-mail : mocm@example.com