Re: tlug: Sony Vaio

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Scott Stone wrote:

>Cliff's machine sometimes needs resetting (not sure if it's still doing
>that), and Jonathan's friend Hiromi has one where the functionality of the
>'Fn' key is REVERSED - ie you have to hold it down to get the letters on
>the keys that also map to the number pad. :)  And they ship a flakey
>PCMCIA IDE card for their CD drives.  hmph.

She got ahold of Panasonic Tech Support and they told her how to turn that off
- I think it was alt-numlock, or something like that.  But you'd think it
wouldn't be shipped with that turned on, wouldn't you?

On the PC card thing, neither that CD-ROM drive nor the card are from
Panasonic.  They're by Buffalo.  I suspect this may be at least partly a case
of "When you buy the cheapest thing available, that's exactly what you get."
And the Buffalo drive/card set was really cheap.

I like the Let's Note a lot in most respects, and if I didn't need to run
Linux on it, it would definitely be on my short list of machines to buy.
However, there do seem to be some issues with the Let's Note and Linux.
That's unfortunate, because I reallyreallyreally hate track pads and the Let's
Note line is the only one that I know of that has a trackball.  I'd even
rather deal with the eraser-in-the-keyboard pointing device that most (all?)
Stinkpads have rather than deal with a trackpad.

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>
3Web Channel <URL: http://www.3web.co.jp/index.en.html>