Re: tlug: Sony Vaio

On 18 Sep 1998, Frank Bennett wrote:

> I have a Sony Vaio 731 (A4 size, with internal CD-ROM/Floppy
> slot), so this is strictly speaking off the topic of this
> thread.  I had some trouble with interrupts to get the modem to
> work also, but that's been covered already.
>
> I do have a couple of remaining niggles, though, that someone
> might be able to help with.
>
> First, (generic notepad PC problem here), the mousepad is right
> under my thumbs with my typing position, and I keep accidentally
> tapping it, which proxies for a single click of the left mouse
> button.  This has nice effects like ripping the cursor to a new
> position while I'm typing at full speed, or jerking the focus to
> a new window, where the text I'm typing takes hold as a series of
> keystroke commands ...

I wonder if this notebook is the same as the Proton Pentium-233MMX
notebook (ie, same guts, different shell or something?  see below)

I have the same problem with the Proton notebook...

> _should_ give me a corrupted filesystem every time the machine
> goes down in hibernation mode.  But instead, everything spins
> down and I get a flashing red power light.  Hitting "return" once
> or twice will wake the machine back up quite quickly, without
> accessing the disk.  But (here's the problem) this "deep
> suspension" relies on a battery somewhere in the machine; if it's
> left on battery too long, the machine shuts down and the content
> of memory is lost --- so you have to restart a system that was
> shut down abruptly, possibly leading to filesystem corruption.

Proton machine does the same thing... weird.  Also A4 size, btw.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)