Re: tlug: Sony Vaio

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:

> Chris wrote,
>
> > You should have two concerns.
> >
> > The additional concern is the video chipset.  Neomagic.
>
> It works with TL's SVGA server (which includes the Neomagic
> patch).  I think, there now is also a second version of
> SVGA for the Neomagic chips from RedHat.  So, this chip is
> not really a practical problem anymore -- maybe a political
> one.  And if you want to buy a NotePC without that chipset,
> you are not left with a big choice...

The 'thing from redhat' is the XBF server.  Also available as an update
for TLJ on our site.  Or, get the glibc one from Redhat's site, it's the
same package.

> There is one problem however.  The 505 does not have a
> built-in CD-ROM (not surprising given its size).  The
> optional (external) CD-ROM from Sony comes with a special
> kind of PCMCIA card, which doesn't work with Linux.  Maybe I
> should say, doesn't work for me.  Maybe somebody already
> wrote a driver, I don't know -- if anybody has some
> information regarding this matter, please tell me.

is it an IDE PCMCIA card?  If so, what make/model?

> So, you have to install via Ethernet or so -- I did an ftp
> install.  Apart from that, I really like the VAIO 505 :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Manuel

> Next Nomikai: 18 September, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> Next Meeting: 10 October, Tokyo Station Yaesu central gate 12:30
> Sponsor: PHT, makers of TurboLinux http://www.pht.co.jp

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)