file name hierarchy for I18n [Re: tlug: graphics package of pLaTeX]

久しぶりですね。I have been in England for nearly two
weeks.  Apart from the Taifun, the weather is definitely
better here...and the food also ;-)

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com> wrote,

>     Cliff> Steve,
>     >> Scott: will you please please please PLEASE please please
>     >> fucking please get rid of /usr/jp...?  I realize you're under
>     >> organizational constraints, but see if you can convince these
>     >> guys that this dual hierarchy is the wrong way to do this.
>
>     Cliff> The way things have "traditionally" been done with Japanese
>     Cliff> packages is to put them in /usr/local
>
> You're absolutely right, this is worse than /usr/jp.
>
>     Cliff> What is your suggestion? This is an issue that takes a fair
>     Cliff> bit of thought. We want to be able in future to handle
>     Cliff> various other languages too, so that implies that there
>     Cliff> might well be Japanese, Chinese, Russian programs
>     Cliff> coexisting on the same system.
>
> Where necessary, /usr/{bin,include,lib,share}/$LANG, and lower than
> that where necessary.  See the lib/alt-dev and lib/libc5-compat stuff
> used to allow glibc and libc5 to coexist.  Language differentiation,
> where not handled internally, should live as low as possible in the
> hierarchy.

I agree.  When using Slackware, I used to create a
/usr/local/<pkg>/ directory when installing some new package
<pkg> and put all the binaries, libraries etc of that
package below that directory and only set up symbolic links
in /usr/local/bin/ etc.  This was to make it easy to
identify the files belonging to the package etc.

In the beginning this may seem like a nice strategy, but
actually it is only a bad excuse for not having a package
manager.  Since, I use TL, I abandoned this strategy and
install things where they belong.  Overall, I found this
makes everthing nicer (less problems with stuff not finding
other stuff etc).

[...]
>     Cliff> programs use similar-but-not-the-same libraries, and if you
>
> Get thee behind me, Satan!
>
> Hacked libraries are Evil Incarnate, the Dark Side of the Force.
>
> I don't know what to do about them, except spend programmer time
> learning what the standards are and then making these libraries 100%
> drop-in compatible with the standard ones.
>
> If you can't do that, ld -Bstatic.  Half these hacked libraries are
> specific to a single program.

And if nothing else helps, a /usr/lib/jp/ should do.

Cheers,

Manuel