Re: tlug: graphics package of pLaTeX

    Cliff> Steve,
    >> Scott: will you please please please PLEASE please please
    >> fucking please get rid of /usr/jp...?  I realize you're under
    >> organizational constraints, but see if you can convince these
    >> guys that this dual hierarchy is the wrong way to do this.

    Cliff> The way things have "traditionally" been done with Japanese
    Cliff> packages is to put them in /usr/local

You're absolutely right, this is worse than /usr/jp.

    Cliff> What is your suggestion? This is an issue that takes a fair
    Cliff> bit of thought. We want to be able in future to handle
    Cliff> various other languages too, so that implies that there
    Cliff> might well be Japanese, Chinese, Russian programs
    Cliff> coexisting on the same system.

Where necessary, /usr/{bin,include,lib,share}/$LANG, and lower than
that where necessary.  See the lib/alt-dev and lib/libc5-compat stuff
used to allow glibc and libc5 to coexist.  Language differentiation,
where not handled internally, should live as low as possible in the
hierarchy.

    Cliff> It would be nice if all programs had international
    Cliff> capabilities. But this is just not the case. There are some
    Cliff> programs that do have international capabilities
    Cliff> (xemacs,mule), some that have different versions for

I don't use anything else ;-) except for Japanese TeX :-(.

    Cliff> different languages (xterm, kterm), and some that are

What's the problem?  They both live in the standard directories rooted
in /usr/X11R6 on my system.

    Cliff> language specific (nkf). In some cases, the different

What's the problem?  nkf and jconv live happily in /usr/bin on my
system.

    Cliff> programs use similar-but-not-the-same libraries, and if you

Get thee behind me, Satan!

Hacked libraries are Evil Incarnate, the Dark Side of the Force.

I don't know what to do about them, except spend programmer time
learning what the standards are and then making these libraries 100%
drop-in compatible with the standard ones.

If you can't do that, ld -Bstatic.  Half these hacked libraries are
specific to a single program.

    Cliff> want more than one language version on your system, then
    Cliff> you need to be careful in where you put it.

    Cliff> There is a strong bias toward the English version being the
    Cliff> default version in Unix. We would like TurboLinux to be the
    Cliff> technically and politically best solution for an
    Cliff> international version of Linux.

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091