Re: tlug: graphics package of pLaTeX

Steve,

> Scott:  will you please please please PLEASE please please fucking
> please get rid of /usr/jp...?  I realize you're under organizational
> constraints, but see if you can convince these guys that this dual
> hierarchy is the wrong way to do this.

Actually this has been a hot topic here at PHT for the past several
months.  The way things have "traditionally" been done with Japanese
packages is to put them in /usr/local, which is definitely not good
because /usr/local should be kept "clean" so that when you do a system
upgrade, for example, you can do it without worrying about what's in
/usr/local.

What is your suggestion? This is an issue that takes a fair bit of
thought. We want to be able in future to handle various other
languages too, so that implies that there might well be Japanese,
Chinese, Russian programs coexisting on the same system.

It would be nice if all programs had international capabilities. But
this is just not the case. There are some programs that do have
international capabilities (xemacs,mule), some that have different
versions for different languages (xterm, kterm), and some that are
language specific (nkf). In some cases, the different programs use
similar-but-not-the-same libraries, and if you want more than one
language version on your system, then you need to be careful in where
you put it.

There is a strong bias toward the English version being the default
version in Unix. We would like TurboLinux to be the technically and
politically best solution for an international version of Linux.

Cliff

$BBeI=<hDyLr<RD9(B
$B%Q%7%U%#%C%/%O%$%F%C%/3t<02q<R(B
Cliff Miller